Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The fort-building disaster

I figured it would have been one of the boys who ended up in the ER some time during the first 6 or 7 years of their lives. But nope. It was the 3 year old. The same little person who yells when there's a bug in her line of sight. Who should have been terrified of climbing up on the top of a bunk bed. Holland was building her a fort in his room and about 10 minutes of them being upstairs, I hear this huge thud and then screams (which is exactly what you want, so says the ER nurse. Then you know they've never lost consciousness). All I could see was lots of blood and I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I took her to the ER and she had a nice little hole in the back of her head. The doctor said because her hair was long, he could just use that to close up the wound. (Loved it - no stitches). So he tied little knots in her hair and put some glue on it as well. Before he came in, the nurse had turned on a tv to distract her. Well, during the whole process of tying her hair, there are two nurses and me holding her down, plus the Dr. doing the procedure. She's crying the entire time and in the middle of her sobbing, she says "I can't see the TV". We all laughed. She got a grape popsicle and some princess stickers afterwards.

Holland felt so bad. He told me he cried for an hour. She had fallen off backwards and hit her head on the corner of a desk. While we were gone, the desk got moved. So hopefully she won't climb up on the desk to get to the bunk. At bedtime, we prayed and thanked God for protecting her from more serious injury. She just smiled and said "a hug and a kiss". I love a good ending.

No comments: