Friday, May 30, 2008

Our Molly

Today I took our cat Molly to the vet. Back in January, I thought she was a goner for sure. She hadn't eaten in four days and I just figured it was kidney failure like Millicent 1 1/2 years ago. I fed her through a syringe for a week and gave her medicine three times a day for 10 days. She actually perked back up. We were all shocked. She looked healthy. She started sleeping on the end of our bed. Super-hero dad said he thought she was a different cat. Of course, that's one of the legendary 9 lives of cats. Her personality changed when her sister died, but this was different. It was like we invited a new cat to live with us.

Well, it's happened again. She was eating a little each day, but throwing up every couple of days. It's just awful to see an animal suffer. Today the vet said she had lost 3 pounds since he saw her four months ago. He felt her abdomen and said there was a walnut sized growth. They could biopsy it, but whatever it was, they would have to do surgery to remove it. I can't do that. She's 16 years old. I don't want her to be in pain. So, we are saying goodbye to Molly this weekend and I will take her in next week.

I can't believe I will be animal-less.

1 comment:

Laura and the family said...

I am so sorry to hear this sad news. I once have had cat who was 20 1/2. I was suggested to write a letter to Domino, my cat, and take a picture of together as a last time before he was put to sleep. I felt that it was the only way to release the emotions after I had written my emotions to the cat.