Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Run-Down Family

I use that title because doesn't it feel like that sometimes? Some days I feel like a Mack truck hit me. Here's the low-down on our family:

I've been married to the same man (incredible, I know) for 16 years. We have 3 children; two boys and a girl. Each of their stories is different, and yet each one is an amazing gift from the Creator.

We had been married for several years and I was teaching at a Deaf School. Our attempts to start a family were unsuccessful, so we turned our attention to adoption. During spring break of 1999, we flew down to San Diego to pick up our new little son. My students had a huge shock when I didn't come back from the break, but instead showed up with a newborn to show-off.
(Some of my students never let me live that one down. "Why didn't you tell us??" "You abandoned us!", etc, etc.) Did I mention they were dramatic middle schoolers?? But, when you're dealing with infertility and all the emotions that go along with it, you become very guarded as to what you share with people. My teaching career ended and motherhood began. It was an easy transition for me. I loved being at home with him. He was a very sweet baby and I was in love.

Fast forward 2 years later. Son #2 comes along. And not in the same manner as before. Shock of all shocks, we got pregnant. I know, I know. You're saying "I've heard that so many times. People always get pregnant right after they adopt". Here's my sarcasm: It had nothing to do with adopting first. It had everything to do with trusting God's timing. I was actually at peace that I wasn't going to have biological children. And like Emeril Lagasse says "Bam!" Got pregnant without the aid of any drugs, in-vitro, etc. He was truly a miracle. A 9 pound, 14 ounce miracle.

Here's where husband informs me that we are done. (Hard thing to wrap your brain around when YOU'RE not done). So, we adjusted to life with two and went on our merry way. What do you think happens next? That's right. Pregnant again. We're talking, I used no birth control our first like 5 years of marriage. Funny how that happens. You've got your whole life planned out and then God steps in and says "Whoa, there Nelly". (insert horse neighs here)

In the midst of all this, our oldest son was having trouble in social situations. Picture being kicked out of a private preschool because your 3 year-old cannot control himself. I was called back to school so many times to come pick him up because they couldn't control him. So, many years and doctors later, we find out he's Bipolar and possibly FASD (fetal alcohol spectrum disorder). So, basically, I'm going to be writing about my daily life with a bipolar son and all the chaos that ensues. Hope you come along for the ride.

No comments: