Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mr. Holland loves to invent things

He loves to try to make something new out of something old. He took apart a ViewMaster and tried to attach something else to make it battery operated. Sounds so creative, doesn't it? Until he does that with things like computers, DVD players, hand held video games and a new Rokenbok toy.

He's on medication to help him sleep. Prior to this, it was a battle of the wills. I almost always lost. He would just NOT go to sleep. It could take 3 or 4 hours for him to settle and fall asleep. It made me nuts because I was exhausted by this time and just wanted to crawl in bed myself.
Aparently, the meds wear off after a certain amount of time. Wouldn't this have been useful information prior to giving him this? It helps them fall asleep, but what they don't tell you is it wears off. Be prepared to wake up at 4, they should have told me. So, he's on a med that wears off and I'm aware of lights on downstairs. As I'm bumping into walls, I keep finding evidence of his presence. Half-empty milk glasses, crackers on the computer table, an attempt to access the internet (I had to lock it with a password because, even tho' the guy can't read, he could figure out how to navigate through websites. scary stuff). Then I see the cords everywhere. An opened portable DVD player with wires and the 2 screens. Cords from tv video games plugged into the tv AND the DVD player. He's also managed to lug down this toy called Rokenbok. It's this remote controlled series of toys that do cool things like dump and pick up and transfer. It's a creative kid's dream come true. Only now it's hooked up to all those other items. He's asleep on the couch. The attempt to build a new X-box (yup, that's what he told me) has worn him to a frazzle and he fell asleep.

Maybe tomorrow he'll invent something really cool.

No comments: