Monday, October 6, 2008

Yummy Pancakes!

I finally opened the pancake mix that I bought last week. The price could give milk or bread a run for their money. I figured it's about 30 cents an ounce. Which doesn't seem like a lot until you look at this piddly bag of 24 ounces and the recipe for one batch of pancakes says: "yields 6, four-inch pancakes". Wow. That's a lot. (I'm rolling my eyes). My griddle that my mom gave me (I just typed 'girdle' and had to correct that before moving on! Spellcheck is completely worthless.) has gone kaput. I can only cook one lonely pancake at a time on the stove in a skillet, but Holland was really craving pancakes. He ate 2 ricecakes for breakfast before we took Romania to the bus stop, so I figured I needed to do something more.

The brand is Pamela's and I think they are equal or even better in taste than these buttermilk pancakes I've been making lately (sorry gramma Nora!) The mix can be used for pancakes, waffles or even as a flour in any baking recipe. One of the tricks I'm learning about gluten-free cooking is that you have to spray the pan or griddle or iron that you are using before cooking. I made that mistake with the first two little pancakes I put on the pan. I usually don't spray a non-stick pan, but after scraping pancake off, I decided I'd better follow the directions.

Egypt ate three pancakes and Holland had two. He usually can barely finish one pancake, so this was great for him. I'm still trying to figure out how to fill him up. He ate constantly all morning while we were doing school. It's all healthy stuff, so not complaining, but sometimes I wish he'd just eat a pudding cup and get on with it!

Now I just need to get my hands on some black market Pamela's so we can afford to eat pancakes for dinner.

No comments: