Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Messy Scientist



The first two pictures were taken in Holland's room. I've emptied his room three times now. I've limited his 'stuff' to Legos and Rokenbok. Not really working that well. My room is half-filled with his stuff because I've run out of room in the garage. This is what happens when he has too much: he gets overwhelmed and everything becomes a project. He uses every available object in his room. He likes to create "scenes" on the Rokenbok table: Lego guys battling it out with Star Wars ships; some guy swinging down a zipline he's rigged from his bed to a stool; little green army guys riding around in Rokenbok vehicles looking for someone to battle.



The second set of pictures is an experiment he did in the kitchen. Apparently I had decided to do unimportant things like laundry and cleaning and came back (hours and hours later) to find this set up in the kitchen. I don't know if you can see what he did, but he rigged a series of objects to carry water; through the paper towel tube, and eventually fill up a bowl. It was a great idea, but the water didn't make it past the paper tube. This is why my house is in complete disarray all the time. I cannot keep up with the experimenting. It doesn't do much good to remind him not to do it. He forgets. The only way to stop him from doing this is to glue him to my hip.

1 comment:

Laura and the family said...

This reminds me Thomas Edison did that a lot in his experiment in his basement. No one could not stop him either. At the end, he became a prominent man-- maybe your son will be the next one.