Thursday, June 5, 2008

Writing Breakthrough

I wish my scanner worked. Then I could show off what Holland did tonight. After talking with my friend in special education, I took her suggestion of reading to the boys. Living books is the way to go. I think I'm going to use the Charlotte Mason philosphy. Holland had a huge success tonight.

We started reading "The Tale of Despereaux". While I was reading, I had both boys just start to draw what they were listening to. Whatever picture came to mind. After about 5 chapters, I stopped reading and asked them to describe their drawings. Holland had a great picture that included several ideas on one page. He even had word bubbles for two characters with something funny they said. Then I asked him to write just one sentence to describe his drawing. He asked how to spell the mouse's name and I showed him the book. He completed the first sentence without even asking for more help. I said he did a great job and said I would start the next chapter. He said he had another sentence he wanted to write. So I sat back as he and his brother each wrote 5 sentences on the back of the drawings. I have never seen him so excited about something he did. He had the biggest grin on his face. I told him we would be doing this all summer and he yelled "yea!"

I feel even more confident now in making the decision to school him at home. If he's not going to be able to attend the charter school and get the kinesthetic learning I feel he needs, then he will blossom at home.

No comments: