Sunday, December 2, 2007

Don't Mop the Ceiling

Whenever there is a job to do around the house, I always think about mopping the ceiling. Since this only makes sense to about 3 other people, let me elaborate.

When I first got married, I lived in a small, but older house that had lath and plaster walls. They were very shiny and attracted lots of dirt. My sister was getting married and I decided to throw her a wedding shower. Anyone who plans a party knows it's not just getting the party stuff ready, you have a major overhaul cleaning of the house. On the day of the party I was in the kitchen getting last minute things ready when I looked up to the ceiling and noticed some dirt marks. Since I didn't have a step ladder handy, I just got my sponge mop wet and started to mop the ceiling. Big mistake. Huge. The dirt was actually the ceiling color. And I was now stuck with mopping the entire ceiling if I didn't want a big white streak mark in the middle.

Which brings me to the point of this post. I was just heading upstairs to go to bed (I'm trying not to go to bed at midnight anymore). I have terrible lighting in my room, which probably helps me ignore not just the clutter, but the dirt. I made these ruffle window toppers that are looking so sad and tired. I've been thinking about replacing them (which means new paint too, of course). There was this one part that keeps sagging, so I climbed up on the bed and started to fix the sag. I've decided not to mop the ceiling here. I couldn't believe how much dirt and dust had accumulated on that sag. Then I looked on either side of the sag and there was more! (Exactly how does dust acculumate on vertical objects?) So in the interest of keeping my sanity, I've decided that mopping the ceiling in this case will not benefit me one bit. I will not feel better if I wash those. But I will be wearing one of those dust masks to bed tonight.

No comments: