Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Projects For Everyone

So this year seems to be all about the projects. Holland made gliders to test differences in wing size; we made a bat house (which is for our next study in flying creatures); and today we did an art project based on "Fish is Fish" by Leo Lionni. He created a new fish/animal, did a background texture rub with crayon and then he wrote a story about his Fin-fox (body of a fish; head of a fox). He's also really enjoying his ceramics class on Mondays.

So today I needed a project. And since food has become a major focus lately, I decided we needed something we could all eat. Last night we had hamburgers and (store-bought) french fries. Holland didn't even mind that he ate his hamburger without a bun. (I even gave him some of my pop to make him feel better!) We had leftover patties today and Holland actually said that sounded good. But of course, all the french fries were gone. I found some russet potatoes in the pantry and decided I needed homemade french fries to go with my hamburger (and a tomato from my garden!) I peeled, sliced and soaked the potatoes for about 15 minutes. I cooked them for about 3 minutes, drained them, cooked the next batch and then cooked them a second time. They were soft on the inside and cripsy on the outside. Holland loved them. He was so excited that potatoes were not a forbidden food.

No comments: