Monday, April 26, 2010

Orthotics and the Testing

Holland had two more hours of testing this morning and it went well. He got to work with the same guy as last Friday - lots of hands on, memory games, sequencing stuff. I used this time to make a bunch of phone calls to get Holland an appointment for new inserts for his shoes. He has very flat feet (almost no arch) and his ligaments are very weak. Not only is he pidgeon-toed, but with weak ankles, he rotates his foot inward. It's very painful and his legs hurt him every day.

I found out that our new insurance coverage for orthotics is just lousy. Our deductible is $500. The insurance we had last year covered almost all of the orthotic and they only cost about $90. If I was smart (and could predict the future) I would have bought another pair last year so I wouldn't have to pay $425 for these. I chose to go back to the place that did his first pair. (She's also the one that did Egypt's shoe lift for her arthritis - gee, I'm giving her a lot of business!). So I like her and don't feel like using up energy to get the pre-authorization to go somewhere else. My insurance requires a doctor's authorization and the clinic where I was planning to go requires the doctor to set up the appointment. It could take months to get in with these people. It wouldn't matter even if I went to the preferred provider because my deductible is so high. So, now I gotta come up with $425. This means that I won't be able to have any testing for dyslexia done.

I called several places last week to find out about testing. The first place said they do two tests and it will run $800 for both. That includes a report (how generous!) and recommendations for tutoring. So after all that testing is done, I will still have to pay for private tutoring. I heard back from another place today and she at least said they would want all of his testing scores. Then they could get a clearer picture of patterns in learning and then I wouldn't have to pay for duplicate testing. It's so frustrating that the school will not test for dyslexia. They don't consider it a learning disability. And insurance doesn't cover anything like this. How do people afford this? It's obvious I should have been a speech pathologist, a psychologist and learned the Orton-Gillingham method so I wouldn't have to pay anyone to do that.

No comments: